National

137 Dead, 300 Injured In Somalia Bomb Blast

MOGADISHU: The death count from Saturday’s truck bombing in a shopping district in the Somali capital Mogadishu surged to at least 137 with 300 people injured, police said on Sunday. “We are getting different numbers in terms of the casualty from the medical centres, but we have confirmed so far 137 (dead), most of them burned beyond recognition, police official Ibrahim Mohamed told AFP. “The death toll could be higher because there are more than 300 wounded, some of them seriously.” The blast struck on Saturday afternoon at a busy road junction, reducing buildings to heaps of rubble and leaving vehicles in flames. Officials said it was one of the worst-ever bombings in this war-torn east African country. “This is the deadliest attack ever,” Mohamed said. “It is very difficult to get a precise number because the dead bodies were taken to different medical centres and some of them (were taken) directly by their relatives for burial.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *