Chinese health authorities said on Wednesday that 490 people had died and more than 24300 had been infected in the country by the novel Coronavirus outbreak until last midnight.
As of Wednesday morning, the global death toll stood at 492 with two deaths reported from the Philippines and Hong Kong.
The surging toll of the epidemic comes in the backdrop of several countries banning visitors from China, several more putting restrictions on those travelling from the worst-hit Hubei province and dozens of airlines cancelling flights to and from the Chinese mainland.
China’s national health commission (NHC) said Wednesday that as of February 4 midnight, China had a total of 24324 confirmed country-wide cases of the infection.
Of the 490 deaths on the mainland, 479 were from Hubei, the central Chinese province where tens of millions of people in at least 15 cities are living in a lockdown with strict restrictions on their exit and entry across the city borders.
All new 65 deaths on Tuesday were reported from Hubei.
The good news is that as many as 892 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Tuesday, the NHC said.