The City Civil Court in Dindoshi, rejected a plea filed by actor Alok Nath seeking an injunction to be placed on screenwriter Vinta Nanda from speaking to publications about the rape allegations she has levelled against him.
Earlier this month, Nath had through his wife Ashu Singh filed a civil defamation suit against Nanda, asking for damages of Rs. 1 apart from directions from the court seeking a ban on Nanda releasing any statement publicly that would defame him further.
Sessions Judge S. U. Baghele observed that neither Singh nor Nath could claim to having been defamed by a post that Nanda wrote on her Facebook page on October 8 in which she alleged that he had raped her 19 years ago.
Judge Baghele observed that Ashu Singh, who is plaintiff number 1 in the suit, and Alok Nath would be not granted any ad interim relief.
No date was set by the court to hear Singh and Nath’s suit.
Vinta Nanda’s lawyer Dhruti Kapadia prayed for the suit to be dismissed outright.
Reacting to the judgement, Kapadia said that it was a great victory for women. “I am very happy that the court has passed this verdict. More women will now come out and speak up. Many people had advised my client not to take on Nath as he is an influential man. We will now fight this till the end,” she said.
On Thursday, Advocate Ashok Saraogi, who is representing Alok Nath, had argued in court that Nanda, being a screenwriter, has made up a story of being raped. He also accused Nanda of making allegations against him for money and to gain publicity.
He claimed that his client is a victim of a media trial. In court, Sarogi also argued that Nanda chose not to complain about the alleged assault when it took place nearly two decades ago and questioned why she had decided not to approach the authorities then and instead write about her account in detail in a Facebook post.
He had also argued that his client has a good reputation in society and is known as the “Sanskari man”.
Dhruti Kapadia had accused Ashok Saraogi of assassinating Vinta Nanda’s character in his arguments and argued that Alok Nath’s suit was a “skin saving tactic”. She had also argued that Nanda’s post detailing the alleged sexual assault was not written with the intention of causing defamation.
Soon after Nanda wrote her post in which she had not named Nath, the actor filed a case of criminal defamation, before revising it to a civil suit. Nanda had then submitted a written complaint at the Oshiwara police station detailing her allegations and asking for an FIR to be registered against Nath.>