Amazon India sees ‘yoga fashion’ taking over the world

While it’s fashionable to be fit, the leading e-tailer Amazon has revealed that the fashion world too is taking a yoga spin.

This year marks the third International Yoga Day and on this occasion, Amazon released some inquisitive insights on Indian customers becoming more fitness cognizant and adopting yoga in their daily lives.

The e-commerce giant witnessed a remarkable traction in its yoga products ranging from yoga mats to athleisure wear.

According to the report comprising of data complied over the past year, Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru and Hyderabad are at the forefront of pursuing yoga and adapting healthy fitness practices. They lead in demand for yoga products in both – Sports and Fashion categories.

While yoga is witnessing an increase of practitioners, yoga fashion is also hogging limelight globally.

Athleisure, a trend that has become very popular recently, has come a long way from where it started. From regular active-wear imagery, the trend has re-defined gym wear to an uber stylish ‘ gym-to-office-wear’ imagery.

Owing to its functionality, comfort and versatility, athleisure has become one of the most dominating parts of people’s wardrobe and today it’s one of the most prevalent segments under Amazon Fashion.

Yoga products under sports category have seen a growth of over 225% year on year, witnessing demand from across the country.

However, it’s the urban cities that have dominated this category with 40% demand; top four cities being Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and Hyderabad. The other 60% comes from other tier I, II and III cities.

Yoga mats lead this category with close to 80% product demand. In fact Amazon has been delivering Yoga mats to far flung remote areas like Dimapur Mdg, Kohima and North Thingdawl.

Amazon Fashion’s sportswear segment has witnessed a growth of close to 150% in 2016, where over 40% orders come from metros, followed by close to 30% from tier II and rest from tier III markets; again top cities being Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai and Hyderabad.

Brands like Under Armour, Adidas, Reebok, Puma, Fila, Skechers, ASICS, Speedo, Nike, New Balance are some of the top brands in Sportswear category.

Commenting on the findings, Kaveesh Chawla, Director, Category Management, Amazon India said, “Customers today are more fitness conscious and are adopting Yoga in daily life. We are excited by the growing interest in yoga products across the country and are constantly striving to add new selection to meet all of Yoga and fitness product needs under one roof.”

Back to top button