Amid media reports claiming that fugitive dimantaire Nirav Modi is roaming about freely in the streets of London, the government has come out saying that India is making strong efforts to bring him back to face prosecution.
The Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Raveesh Kumar on Saturday said that India is awaiting for a response from the United Kingdom with regard to its extradition request sent in August last year.
He also admitted that government is aware of Modi’s presence in the UK but added that government has made the request for his extradition in August last year.
He added that the fact UK was sent that request clears that India is aware of his presence in that country and action has been initiated for his extradition.
He added that the UK is still considering the request for extradition of Modi.
Extradition of a fugitive is a long drawn process and Indian government is strongly pursuing the matter with its counterpart in UK, Raveesh Kumar said.
Modi is the subject of an extradition request by India, along with an Interpol Red Corner Notice being issued for the PNB scam accused.
Both Modi and Choksi left India in January last year before the PNB scam came out in the public.
The duo has not returned to India despite repeated summons from probe agencies and courts.