New Delhi: A day after announcing a ban on the import off 101 defence items, Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will on Monday launch the ‘Atma Nirbhar Bharat Saptah’. The announcement, scheduled at 3:30 PM, is set to introduce “a big push” towards Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s self-reliant initiative to promote indigenously built goods and services.
In a series of tweets last evening, the defence minister said that the Atma Nirbhar Bharat initiative will offer a great opportunity to the Indian Defence industry to manufacture the items in the negative list by using their own design and development capabilities, as well as by adopting technologies designed and developed by DRDO that can meet the requirements of the Armed Forces.
“The Ministry of Defence is now ready for a big push to #AtmanirbharBharat initiative. MoD will introduce import embargo on 101 items beyond given timeline to boost indigenisation of defence production,” Singh had tweeted.
Singh said that the ministry had bifurcated the capital procurement budget for current fiscal year between domestic and foreign capital procurement routes, and a separate budget head had been created with an outlay of nearly Rs 52,000 crore for domestic capital procurement in the current financial year.
“Almost 260 schemes of such items were contracted by the Tri-Services at an approximate cost of Rs 3.5 lakh crore between April 2015 and August 2020. It is estimated that contracts worth almost Rs 4 lakh crore will be placed upon the domestic industry within the next 6 to 7 years,” he said.s.