Sachin Tendulkar has become the first Indian sportsperson to win a Laureus World Sports Award, in the 20th anniversary edition of the event also known as the ‘Oscars of Sport’.
At a glittering ceremony in Berlin, Sachin was handed the award by Australian former skipper Steve Waugh even as Boris Becker announced the nominations for the special category that was introduced for the 20th edition of the Laureus Awards this year.
The category was voted on by fans from across the globe and the Award celebrated moments from the past two decades where sport unified people in the most extraordinary way. On his sixth attempt, Tendulkar had helped India win the 2011 ICC World Cup which was their first title on home ground.
Full List of Laureus Sports Awards 2020 Winners
- Laureus World Sportsman of the Year: Lewis Hamilton and Lionel Messi
- Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year: Simone Biles
- Laureus World Team of the Year: South Africa Men’s Rugby Team
- Laureus World Breakthrough of the Year: Egan Bernal
- Laureus World Comeback of the Year: Sophia Flörsch
- Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability: Oksana Masters
- Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year: Chloe Kim
- Laureus Best Sporting Moment: ‘Carried on the shoulders of a nation’ – Sachin Tendulkar
- Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award: Dirk Nowitzki
- Laureus Academy Exceptional Achievement Award: Spanish Basketball Federation
- Laureus Sport for Good Award: South Bronx United