On the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, Prime Minister Narendra Modi marked the third anniversary of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
Here are the highlights of his speech at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi:
- The dream of a Swachh Bharat (clean India) will be realised by 125 crore Indians, not a select group of leaders or officials
- India has accepted the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan. The movement has become a people’s movement due to the ‘Siddhi’ of Swachhagrahis
- A positive spirit of competition has been created due to this mission. We see this in the cleanliness rankings, how organisations are working on cleanliness.
- The mission is about both ‘Vyavastha’ (systems) and ‘Vichar’ (thought process and mindset).
- I congratulate all those who supported and took part in the Swachhata Hi Seva movement. I keep saying – this is the start. We should continue the momentum built by the movement
- Society, media supported Clean India. Should introspect if campaign is not receiving desired momentum, notwithstanding this support
- We should not politicise issues such as cleanliness and hygiene
- You have to see cleanliness from the prism of women