The Jodhpur Court has found Salman Khan guilty in the blackbuck poaching case. However, the other accused, Saif Ali Khan, Tabu, Neelam and Sonali Bendre have been acquitted. The quantum of his punishment is not known as yet.
However, his lawyer had hinted that the superstar might get a minimum of 1-year punishment if found guilty.
Salman and the others were accused of hunting and killing two blackbucks in 1998 in Rajasthan’s Kankani while the actors were the state for a film shoot.
Blackbucks are endangered species and hunting them is prohibited under the Wildlife Protection Act.
In the year 1998, Salman Khan along with his Hum Saath Saath Hai co-stars Tabu, Saif Ali Khan, Sonali Bendre and Neelam were accused of poaching blackbucks while shooting in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
For the uninitiated, Salman has been acquitted of killing two blackbucks on October 2, 1998, in Kankani village in Jodhpur during the shooting of Hum Saath Saath Hain.
He was acquitted in two poaching cases by the high court and in a case under Arms Act by the lower court.
In a throwback video of Salman, he is seen talking about how the controversy started. “One day after pack up, we were going back.
There was Saif Ali Khan, Tabu, Neelam and Sonali. We saw deer fawn, stuck in a bush. The whole herd was there and I stopped the car. He (fawn) was petrified. I took him out of there, gave him some water.
The whole pack was there. He ate a few biscuits and then went away. I think from there, the whole controversy came,” Salman said.
Earlier, Khan’s counsel H M Saraswat had said the final arguments in the case began on September 13 last year with the prosecution counsel citing the statements of the eyewitnesses of the case.
“After the completion of the prosecution’s arguments on October 23, we began our arguments on October 28 last year and completed on February 4,” he said.>