World Diabetes Day, is being observed today to raise awareness of a condition that millions of people around the world live with. World Diabetes Day is an initiative that addresses growing concerns about the increase in the cases of this lifestyle disease.
Diabetes is a chronic condition in which the pancreas is unable to produce enough insulin or the body is not able to use insulin to its best ability; all this results in spiked blood sugar levels.
While most health experts suggest eating a healthy diet and engaging in exercises, Ayurveda, the ancient science, has some Ayurvedic herbal remedies to manage blood sugar levels and control diabetes, also called madhumeh.
One of the herbs that Ayurveda believes in is giloy or Tinospora cordifolia, which is also known as the Ayurvedic root of immortality. Let’s look at how giloy helps in managing diabetes.
Giloy for diabetes, How giloy helps in managing blood sugar levels:
Giloy is herbaceous vine that is indigenous to the tropical areas of India, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka and is said to be useful in managing type-2 diabetes.
This plant is known to have been mentioned in the ancient Indian texts of Ayurveda as Madhunashini, which in Sanskrit literally means ‘destroyer of sugar.’ Giloy is said to be a magical herb, which deals with a plethora of health problems, including diabetes.
It has anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, anti-allergic, anti-malarial, and anti-diabetic properties. Here’s how it helps in dealing with diabetes:
* Giloy helps in the production of insulin.
* It has the capacity to burn excess glucose, which further helps in reducing blood sugar levels.
* Giloy also acts as a hypoglycaemic agent that helps manage diabetes well. This agent also helps in lowering blood sugar levels and lipids.
* As per a study, giloy has significant anti-diabetic activity and has an efficacy of 40 percent to 80 percent compared to insulin.
* Giloy helps in improving digestion, which is a crucial aspect in managing diabetes.
How to use giloy to manage diabetes?
Many believe that freshly prepared giloy juice can work wonders for diabetics. All you need to do is to take the stems and leaves and blend them together. Add some water to get a juice-like consistency. Now, strain the mixture in a glass and add a few drops of lemon juice to it. Drink it first thing in the morning to see effective results.>